Thursday, January 26, 2012

4 4 U

Birth announcements. They chose the one on the right.

Business card designs for Matt Kesler. He chose the big one with a blank back. The ones in the middle are 1.5"x3.5". I like to call them "skinny" cards. And I'm in love with them. I wish more people would choose them.

Here are some awesome logos that I designed for a student (who failed to pay us).

Business card designs for Brandon Smith at North Peak Photography. He chose the big ones in the middle (front and back).


I think I've mentioned how much I LOVE designing business cards. And I do. Truely. They are wonderful puzzles to solve. And there are so many things you can do with them! Round corners, dye cuts, varying dimensions, different stock weights, coatings, paper colors, foil stamping... Oh my god. At any rate, this is still my favorite kind of design project. Followed closely by logo generation. : )

Here's a question. I have had some designs that I've done that have been redone by others after clients have failed to pay for their design work. The designs are different, but very closely similar to the originals that I was responsible for. I'm having trouble deciding how to feel about these people stealing my ideas and generating bastardized versions of them. Do I have cause to feel jilted? I don't even get paid for my designs (as they are included in the printing costs...) Does anyone have any opinions on the morality (or lack of it) in this situation? I'd love to hear them.

1 comment:

  1. I sort of stumbled upon this post, and I just want to stress the importance of writing a contract for your freelance work. I have been doing freelance work for 6 years, and while it is morally reprehensible for a client not to pay you after you have done work for them, even if they don't end up the work, is morally reprehensible, that's what will happen about 70% of the time if you don't ask them to sign a contract. Remind your clients that the contract is for their protection as well as yours-- it will ensure that you finish the work on time and within budget. It can be a very simple contract with a timeline for the project. Ask for 50% of the final price up front. Establish a date with an estimated mid-point, and send them an updated timeline if the final deadline is changed. Send them low-res jpgs with a small watermark until the project is complete, and explain that you will send them hi-res files of finished work when you receive your final payment. If a potential client refuses to sign the contract or to pay you a 50% deposit, DO NOT WORK FOR THEM. Graphic design is a profession just like any other. If you took your car to a mechanic and they fixed it and then you drove away without paying them, that would be considered theft. It's no different with design. Even if you never plan to pursue legal action against a client, a contract will let them know that you could, make them feel accountable, and at least ensure that you receive 50% of your agreed upon price. I hope this was helpful...

    ReplyDelete